In most cooking from around the world, meat is coated in a marinade and left overnight to allow the flavours to infuse. This process includes various ingredients and times.
Marinades have several functions besides just flavouring meat/chicken/fish/vegetables. These include :
- Tenderising tougher cuts of meat.
- Reducing cooking time.
- The acid in the marinade slows down the growth of harmful bacteria.
4.This also allows the meat to be easily digested.
A combination of wet and dry ingredients can be used to create a marinade. By changing a few ingredients and spices any marinade can be changed to the type of cuisine like Soy Sauce to create Asian flavours.
Wet ingredients include :
- lemon juice
- Soy Sauce
Dry ingredients :
- Dried herbs
- Fresh herbs
- Ground Nuts
The abovementioned are just some of the ingredients you can use to marinate your food to create flavoursome dishes. Marinated foods can be :
- Braaied /BBQ
- Pot roasted
A basic marinade includes oil, an acid and flavours. All these can be adjusted to your tastebuds and what you are trying to create. A secret ingredient used by many is the use of Ketchup yip it provides a sweet/tart flavour and adds colour.The sugar in the ketchup allows for the meat/fish/chicken to be browned on the outside.
A few Fridays ago I created this simple meal for my family using marinated Lamb Ribs. I have marinated the Ribs a few days earlier when we had done our monthly meat shop.
Lamb Rib Delight
1kg Lamb Ribs
1 teaspoon ginger and garlic mix
3 Tablespoons Kashmiri Chilli masala
2 Tablespoons honey
2 Tablespoon Tomato Sauce
1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- Wash Lamb Ribs and trim excess fat off then dry.
- Add all the ingredients into a mixing bowl and add the Ribs.
- Mix well until all the Ribs are coated in the mixture.
- Cover and put into the fridge for atleast 2 hours before cooking.
- Heat up a large nonstick pan add the Ribs and let them brown on either side before adding 125ml of hot water to allow the ribs to steam and then cook on a low heat for atleast 45min.
- Keep turning the Ribs and add a little bit of water if the ribs are sticking to the pan.
- The meat on the ribs should be well cooked and literally falling of the bone.
- Mashed Potato
- Raw Baked Bean salad
- French fries
- Roast Vegetables
- Macaroni and cheese