Prawns are known to be a delicacy as they tend to be rather pricey. All around the globe in every cuisine there is a version of Prawn Curry. Some curries are creamy, spicy , sour and fragrant. Every chef has their version of this dish and some even include mango, cashews and chicken.
In every Indian home in South Africa, a Prawn Curry is a must have for celebrations. From Christmas to Birthdays to having special guests in your home this dish appears on the menu. In our home for our Birthdays and Diwali this dish is cooked. This is one of my favourite dishes which I learnt to cook from my mum and gran.
Prawns 1kg serves 6/8 people
1 tin chopped tomato
4 eggs (hard-boiled and sliced)
2 Tablespoon Garlic Butter
1 Tablespoon oil
1 curry leaf
2 Tablespoons Fish Masala
2 tablespoons Kashmiri Masala
2 Green Chillies
2 teaspoons sugar
salt to taste (chutney)
- The day before clean the prawns removing the shell,head and the vein down the centre of the prawns.Wash and dry before adding the Fish Masala and put into the fridge to marinade. This will add allow the flavours to infuse with the prawns over night.
- In a frying pan , melt the Garlic Butter before adding in the Prawns to cook.Fry for roughly 8/10 minutes turning the Prawns over till they have a lovely colour to them. I know a lot of people would frown here and say OMGosh how can you pan fry the Prawns this will make the rubbery not it does not. Having eaten Prawns added raw to the Tomato Chutney I do not like that raw taste. By frying the Prawns you add another element of flavour and texture to your dish.
- Remove Prawns from pan and set aside. To the same pan add the rest of the oil and chopped onions and allow to brown. Then add Kashmiri Masala and add the tin of chopped Tomato, sugar and salt.
- Allow to cook until the Tomato Chutney has reduced. Taste for salt before adding the Prawns. All to cook for 3 minutes before turning off the heat.
- Garnish with hard-boiled eggs sliced in half and chopped up coriander.
Serving Suggestions / Options
- Serve with a savoury rice.
- Naan Bread
- Tomato and Onion Salsa
- Peas can be added to the Tomato Chutney to expand the meal.
This dish is defo a dish for a special occasion. What dish do you normally have as a celebration dish in your home?
Be Inspired !