One of the things that caught my attention when I checked into my hotel on Abu Dhabi, was the majestically beautiful Sheikh Zayed Mosque.The Mosque was literally across the waterway.
My fascination with mosques started after my first Trip to Turkey and when I set eyes on the beautiful Blue Mosque. Before my trip to Abu Dhabi , I had googled images and was instantly drawn to the images of the breathtaking Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque.
Like all places of worship there are certain rules that need to be followed on entering the Mosque.
- No shoes are allowed in the Mosque. There is a shoe rack outside the entrance for you to leave your shoes before entering.
- Men must wear long pants and no shorts are allowed.
- Women must wear a headscarf covering their entire head. A long sleeve top must be worn as your wrists must not show. Long dresses or pants can be worn and must cover your ankles. No tight-fitting or revealing clothing can be worn.
- Men and women are not allowed to touch each other even if a photo is been taken.
- You will not be allowed into the mosque if you are not appropriately dressed. However you can hire cloaks and to wear.
- Non muslims are not allowed to touch the Qurans that are found inside the mosque.
By now I am guessing you are probably thinking is it really worth it to visit this Mosque ?
WELL ?? Yes without a shadow of a doubt. After the security checks we entered the peaceful and tranquil grounds of the Mosque. I could not stop taking pictures on my phone and camera. Everything was so beautiful and picture perfect. I possibly took over 200 pictures just on the outside. The weather was extremely hot and considering I was covered from head to toe , I was relatively cool. The beautiful mesmerizing pools of water around the Mosque and all the Marble used in the construction of the Mosque seemed to keep it very cool. The beautiful gold columns leading down passages seemed out of a fairytale. Walking inside the Mosque I felt a feeling of calm and could not stop marvelling at this beautiful Mosque. The chandeliers with what seemed like a millions Swarovski glittered and the carpet was the softest ever. Did I really want to leave the Mosque?? No and yes I will go back and take a million more pics.
10 Facts about Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque :
- It is the largest mosque in the UAE.
- The mosque has 1000 columns.
- The Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque is the 7th largest in the World.
- The World’s largest hand-knotted carpet is found inside the mosque and it was designed by Iranian artist Ali Khaliqi.
- The marble found in the Mosque comes from Greece, Italy ,China and Morocco.
- 82 domes are found in the Mosque.
- The mosque can accommodate 40 000 worshipers.
- The chandeliers are 24 carat gold gilded.
- The World’s largest Chandelier is found in this mosque and it was made in Germany from thousands of Swarvoski crystals from Austria and glass work from Italy.
- Construction of the mosque started in the year 2000 and was completed in 2007.
Do you visit places of worship when you travel ? What place of worship took your breath away? I would love to know. Check out this Abu Dhabi guide for more travel inspiration.
Be Inspired !