With the current Rand/Dollar/Pound/Euro exchange rates , travelling overseas is not possible for many. But everyone dreams of one day travelling overseas and discovering the Travel Bug. My solution is why not become a Tourist in your own City.
A Tourist in your own City means :
Discovering the hidden local gems and it would not cost you too much. Since moving back from London in 2010 , I have been discovering my city through new eyes. Each time I am out and about I amazed at just how beautiful my City is.
4 Ideas to Explore your City
- Pack a picnic basket with your favourites eats and head to a local park with friends or family. Carry with you a ball and get some exercise in while enjoying the sunshine.
- Find our where your local Park Run is. Grab some friends and have a fun morning chatting with the girls while enjoying the scenery.
- Find local museums in your city. Most are free to enter.
- Go on a Roadtrip you will be amazed what you will find along the way.
Since I have started lecturing Travel and Tourism this year, I have started to see my City in a truly different light. I have fallen in love with Durban and love exploring my city. This has made me realise just how lucky I am to live in such a beautiful place.
5 places to visit in Durban
- The Mariannhill monastery
- Bangladesh Fruit and Vegetable Market.
- Mitchell Park.
- Grey Street Mosque.
- Hare Krishna Temple of Understanding.
No visit to Durban is complete without sampling the delicious food found here.
4 Places you must eat at in Durban
- Spice Emporium in the Durban CBD. Besides stocking up on spices and everything Indian that is needed in kitchen. Now besides that check out their Indian Street Food Cafe instore.
- Chicken Tikka from Big Ben in the South of Durban. A small takeaway with the biggest lines and divine Tikka.
- Durban is world famous for the Bunny Chow. This is a dish were a loaf of bread is hollowed out and filled with a delicious spicy Durban Curry. Some popular places include Island Hotel , Britannia and Hollywood.
- Old Town Italy is a fairly new deli and eatery where you can enjoy traditional Italian Cuisine at its best. Besides a great meal you can also buy authentic Italian ingredients to take a piece of Italy home with you.
Durban is one pretty damn awesome city. The weather all year round is warm and the people are so friendly and welcoming. Durban is a popular destination for local and international visitors. There is something for everyone in Durban.
Last year I became a tourist in my own city by staying the weekend at a city hotel. Boy oh boy ! it was total fun and did not cost an arm and a leg. I have a pretty adventurous family who love going on roadtrips and Sundays are spent having picnics at the beach and various parks. So start looking at your surroundings in a different way. Become a tourist and explore your city.
What is your favourite place in your city?
Be Inspired !