With amazing beaches and almost perfect weather all year round, Durban is indeed one of the best places to visit. Known as for it melting pot of diverse cultures, the Zulu Kingdom has something for every palate. Eating and entertaining plays a big role in South African culture. And with such a wide variety of places to eat at you will definitely be spoilt for choice. Durban is indeed a foodie haven.
This year , I have eaten some pretty incredible foods and drunk some divine cocktails. So in spirit of sharing this festive season I will be sharing with you some of my favourite eating places in Durban that you should try should you find yourself in my neck of the woods.
You have to taste a culture to understand it. – Deborah Cater
5 Places you MUST TRY in Durban :
- Falafel Fundi – For the last few weeks , I have kept seeing #FalafelFundi keep appearing everywhere on my social media platforms. From a humble start at local markets to now their own place it is no surprise why everyone in #Durban loves #FalafelFundi. So I finally got around to trying out some of this very delish Middle Eastern flavours and ….. I was blown away. Set in a small and vibrant place everything is clean and neat. A small but delicious menu with the freshest ingredients and freshly made in front of you. And such good value for money. I opted for the Falafel Roti and A Med platter for one which was too much for mum and I to finish. I will defo be back #LocalisLekker. Located in Gordon Road just off Florida Road.
2. Cafe Vigour – Situated within Suncoast Casino this Bistro style eatery has a seasonal menu. Quick and very tasty meal options are on the menu including light meal options. From salads to wraps to grilled chicken there is something for all appetites. The cocktail menu is divine and very reasonably priced , there are also non alcoholic cocktails on offer. On my most recent visit I opted for a Greek Side Salad with my Spicy Chicken wings.
3. Waffle House – This place has been on my to eat #BucketList for way too many years. Situated on the South Coast of Durban in the beach town of Ramsgate, Waffle Hut is busy 247 and more than often there is a line of people waiting to get a table. On a recent road trip with the Girls we added this to our trip on arrival we could not get over how busy this place was. We decided to do a share all waffle spread and each ordered a different waffle two savoury and two sweet. There are so many options on the menu do ask your waiter for the most popular waffles.
4. Union Square – Hidden away in Hillcrest is this gem which serves the most amazing cheesy fries and wings I have ever eaten. Not forgetting the fine selection of craft beer and Kopperberg my all time favourite cider. Great service and very tasty indeed. I love the concept of you placing your order on your individual order slip before handing it over to the staff. I am yet to try the burgers.
5. Pop Up Society – Freak Milkshakes is the lastest food/drink craze to hit the Durban Food scene. Chef Rev is the man behind these magically crafted milkshakes that are indeed a freak in the world of milkshakes. Each milkshake is crafted into a beautiful Instagram worthy image with all sorts of delicious and decadent toppings that are normally found as desserts or waffle toppings. The menu includes alcoholic ( for the grown ups) and non alocholic milkshakes. I opted for a concoction of Strawberry milkshake accompanied by a ring doughnut ,heaps of fresh cream, strawberries and melted chocolate. Utterly beautiful and so delicious. Pop up Society can be found in Helen Joseph Road and incase you wondering they do have a food menu as well.
These are just a nibble of what you can eat in Durban and trust me there is loads more to eat and even though I live in this beautiful city my to eat Bucket List grows weekly.
Be Inspired !
Ps This is a sponsored post in association with http://www.cheapflights.co.za/