I am a sucker for wanting to know the story behind a place or a product. And once learning more I am instantly drawn to it especially if it is something relatively unknown.
Just before the festive season I was sent 2 bottles of wine from the very the very limited edition Bizoe range of wines. Knowing that these beauties were so rare made me want to find out why and more about the range.
What does Bizoe mean ?
Instantly the name suggests some link to Europe and I was not too surprised to find the origins come from France. The Franschoek Wine region has a rich history of French influence and thus makes the meaning of Bizoe even more special. Simply put Bizoe is derived from the word Bisous meaning “little kiss”.
Bizoe Range :
There are currently only two wines in the Bizoe Range with a third one launching this year. Created by vinteur Rikus Neethling the naming of the range is rather personal and it is clearly evident that Rikus is very passionate about his craft. Bizoe wines are high quality wines which follow the ethos of ” Less is More” and is proven by the small quantities produced. All wines are handcrafted and are aimed at the top end of the wine market.
- is named after the winemaker’s wife and is a Red wine.
- It is a Shiraz from the Breedekloof Valley.
- The wine is a combination of sweet fruit and spicy flavours.
- It is a great accompaniment to red meat roasts.
- The wine is matured for 17 months in new and second fill French Oak barrels.
- It was produced in a limited edition of only 4500 bottles.
- is named after the winemaker’s mother.
- It is a white wine.
- was voted into the Top 100 wines by Wine Enthusiast Magazine for the 2010 Vintage.
- Grapes are harvested early morning from the best that Franschoek has to offer in order to preserve the natural aromas of orange peel and fresh Tropical Fruit.
- it has a delicate after taste which comes from being matured in oak barrels for 7 months.
- A limited edition with only 2700 bottles being produced.
2017 will be the year a new wine will be added to the Bizoe Range. Bizoe Idioglossia is the new addition. Idioglossia describes a language developed by twins during early childhood, which only they can speak with each other. Like the names of the other two wines in the range this one represents Rikus’s sons.
I love that this brand is so specialised and personal.During my next trip to Cape Town I would love to visit Rikus and learn more about his artisanal wine range. I feel apart of Rikus’s family. Just from reading the descriptions of each wine I did start salivating. As this range is so limited I am saving these for my Birthday in April. These bottles of wine need to be sipped slowly and enjoyed in good company.
Bizoe Wines do export to all parts of the world. For more information check out
Are you a red wine or white wine person?
Be Inspired !