Most people I meet often say “gosh you travel for free so amazing!” and then promptly go on to say “I am going to become a Travel Blogger so I to can travel for free.” Sorry to pop your bubble but nothing is for FREE and there is a lot more that happens behind the scenes than just the pretty pictures and videos.A blogger is defined as :
A blogger is defined as a person who keeps a Web log “blog” who publishes a regular record of their thoughts, opinions, or experiences which is shared on the internet for people to read.
Struggles of a Travel Blogger :
- Late nights spent working.
- Editing blog posts.
- Editing photos.
- Learning to take better pics.
- Running out of space of your mobile phone.
- Learning the technical jargon.
- Using social media to share your work and create a following.
- Running out of battery life.
- Missing out on enjoying a moment because we are busy documenting our travels.
- Working while everyone else is out partying.
- Early morning flights.
- Living out of a suitcase.
- Juggling deadlines.
- Chasing up payments.
- Becoming an accountant.
When I started my blogging journey ,I had no idea what to do and just wrote at that point I did not know much about the blogging world,sponsored posts and SEO.But over time the more time I spent online the more I learnt.I have over the years helped bloggers sharing some of what I learnt along the way and I am by no means an expert as I firmly believe that learning is a life long process.
Perks of becoming a Travel Blogger :
- The opportunity to become a freelancer.
- Travel opportunities.
- Travel blogger friends around the world.
- Knowledge of the best places,best deals and best things to do.
- Be able to work remotely.
- Work with amazing brands like hotels,clothing brands,airlines and luggage companies.
- Become apart of a travel blogger international community.
- You see places through different eyes and not that of a typical tourist.
- Become an expert and a source of reference.
- Getting paid for your expert knowledge on topics.
The awesome folks at Travelstart spoke to local South African Bloggers and put together this very informative infographic on how to become a Travel Blogger.Do yourself a favour and save this cause I know I will be revisiting this again and again.
My thoughts on becoming a Travel Blogger :
- Be passionate about your blog and content.
- Explore locally first.
- Create an audience that means building numbers on your various social media platforms like Twitter and Instagram.
- Be humble.
- Become your brand.
- Interact with other bloggers and your readers.
- Write from your experiences.
- Let your blog be your own voice.
- Do not copy other be unique.
- Use original photos or stock images do not use images from Google as this is not legal and you could be charged.There are various stock image sites that are free.
- Learn about SEO.
- Read other blogs ,share them and comment on them.
- Look after yourself while you travel self care is very important to keep you sane.
I collaborated with the folks at Travelstart on this post.Let me know if this post is useful and if you have any questions.
Be Inspired !