Pasta is one of those amazing store cupboard ingredients that can be transformed into a beautiful masterpiece. Every cuisine around the world has their take using local and traditional ingredients to make this versatile dish.
I love PASTA because :
- Relatively cheap.
- Bulk can be bought and store in the freezer.
- It is versatile and can be made according to your tastes.
- Is a popular dish for both young and old.
- Quick to cook.
Pasta can be used in a variety of ways :
- Hot and cold salads.
- Main meals
- Side dish
During the Easter break after a very full and busy day, I needed to cook a very quick and filling dish for the family for dinner.Pasta is always a winner and does not require a mass of ingredients or time to make. I decided on a quick dish and with a few ingredients. Was it a crowd pleaser indeed it was.
I tend to either make this dish served with a Bechamel Sauce ( white sauce) or a traditional Red Sauce made with tomatoes. As the weather was warm I opted for a lighter dish using a red sauce.
500g uncooked pasta
1 large onion sliced thinly
1 tin chopped tomatoes or 8 fresh tomatoes chopped
1 teaspoon chilli flakes
1 teaspoon mixed herbs
8 cloves of garlic
2 Tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon sugar
200g grated cheese
coriander to garnish
salt and pepper to taste
- To a pot of boiling salted water add you uncooked pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes.Once cooked drain and wait for the red sauce to cook.
- In a large pot ,add oil brown onions before adding tomatoes and the remaining ingredients except the cheese and coriander.
- Allow the tomato mixture to reduce and the flavours to infuse. After 12 minutes toss the cooked Pasta into the red sauce.
- Mix well.Sprinkle the grated cheese over turn off the heat and garnish with chopped coriander.
- Shredded chicken fillet can be added.
- Frozen mix vegetables.
What do you add to your Pasta dishes?
Be Inspired !