So the Christmas countdown has started and I really can not believe we are heading into the last part of 2016. This year has been filled with all sorts of wonderful but like they say in an Indian proverb with the sweet comes the bitter.
I have learnt so much about me and my world this year that I often think hold up why did I not know or do this before. End of year craziness starts as a lecturer this means exams and of course loads of marking.
As a Travel and Tourism lecturer ,I am constantly learning and in the last month I have been teaching my students about the Indian Ocean Islands. Each Island so different yet with many similarities. And yes my #BucketList has just gotten longer. So instead of me welcoming each month in a different language , I have decided to share some information on that destination as well.
The Seychelles is one of the most beautiful Islands and is often referred to as “The Other Eden”.
Facts about Seychelles :
- Gained it’s independence from the UK in 1975.
- South African passport holders do not require a visa.Only a return ticket and a valid passport are needed.
- Languages spoken include Creole, English and French.
- British 3 pin plugs are used.
- The currency is the Seychelles Rupee which can only be purchased or exchanged within the island. Euros are the most useful currency to carry.
- The Island has a tropical marine climate and experiences high humidity.
- The Seychellois people are descendents of a mixture of French and British Landowners, freed African slaves and a small number of Chinese and Indian immigrants.
- Victoria is the world’s smallest capital city and is found on the island.
- Vallee de Mai a UNESCO World Heritage Site is found here this is where you will find the rare Coco de Mer palms with their unusual seeds. Many believe this to be the original Garden of Eden.
- Aldabra Atoll is another UNESCO World Heritage Site found here.This Atoll is home to the giant tortoises.
Besides the incredibly beautiful beaches of the Seychelles there is more to this island. A number of national parks are home to fauna and flora that can only bd found on this island. With a rich and diverse history it is no surprise that the Carnival International held in March attracts thousands of visitors to Victoria. Festival Kreol is a week long festival in October which includes traditional dances, fashion shows,folklore and Creole music.
Bonjour ! This year you and your sisters before you have all been very kind and memorable. Though I must admit you guys have been rather sneaky and arrive out of the blue. September,proved to be a busy but awesome month. In South Africa, September is known as #TourismMonth as well as #HeritageDay is celebrated. South African Tourism launched a campaign on local travel and getting people to discover the country they live in. I LOVE this idea and have written about the importance of being a local tourist before.
I got to explore Gwahumbe Game Lodge Experience with my girls and we had an amazing time. I felt I was in deepest Africa but in reality I was an hour away from home yet I never knew this place existed. Later in the month I was invited to join a group of Durban Bloggers as we headed up to #TravelTheBerg ,unfortunately the weather was not our side so we were only able to experience AntBear Lodge blog post to follow soon. I think it was rather appropriate that in #TourismMonth I got to explore locally.
- Diwali which is basically Christmas for a Hindus.
- I am currently on a midterm week off and needed it.
- Good Food and Wine Show every Durban foodie has this one in their calendar which is the last weekend of October.
- A new month means a chance to be open to new opportunities.
- The screening of a Bollywood Movie by the talented Karan Johar. The movie is set in London and stars of my favourite heartthrobs Fawad Khan.
I rather like the idea of monthly goals that I started last month. Some I managed to succeed at and some I needed to add to my list for this month.
- Try and read atleast one complete book.
- Write 5 blog posts this month. Last month my goal was 4 and I did it.
- Stay on track with my marking.End of year means tons of marking so I must finish it all.
- Get juicing again.
- Try 1 new thing.
- Finish watching an entire series currently watching The Mindy Project.
So Darling October …. I look forward to all the adventures you will bring me. Like your sisters before you I know you will make October rather special and full of memories. Oh and incase you forgot I am still waiting for Prince Charming.
Wishing you all an adventure filled month.
Be Inspired !