The first time I ate this dish, I was at a Hotel in Sousse in Tunisia. I was attracted to this dish because it reminded me of home and Egg Chutney a dish my gran used to prepare. Little did I know how I would fall in love with this dish and I would eat it every day till my holidays ended.
On returning to London after my Tunisian adventure I discovered an Algerian Cafe not far from where I worked. This cafe had a small menu of freshly cooked meals daily and Shakshouka featured daily with the addition of Lamb sausages *drool* Shakshouka or Shakshuka is an egg based dish with its origins in Tunisia. I then discovered that this dish was a very popular dish and was found with its regional differences in the Arab world according to location.
This dish is a well-balanced meal and can be eaten at any part of the day or night. It is very much a comfort dish that can be made rather easily. Having always eaten this dish while I was out and about it never occurred to me until last year while on a media trip that I could very easily make this yummy dish. On this specific trip I stay at a 5 star Boutique Hotel and I almost jumped for joy when I saw Shakshuka feature on the breakfast menu. This dish was served with crispy bread,olives ,Harissa paste and Feta cheese. My colleagues after seeing my breakfast choice opted for the same. Do you blame them look at the picture.
This prompted me to research this dish and come up with my version. During my research I found out :
Shakshouka Facts :
- The dish is cooked and served in a cast iron pan.
- Shakshuka means a “mixture”.
- Served with bread to mop up the gravy at the bottom.
- Eggs are poached in a tomato sauce with chilli and olives.
- It is a staple dish in many Arab countries.
- A meal that can be eaten at anytime almost like the British “All day Breakfast”.
- The Mexicans have a very similar dish called Huveos Rancheros.
- In Turkey this dish is called Memnemen.
- Can be made into individual portions or a large family portion.
- Shakshouka is a healthy dish and can be made banting friendly.
Shakshouka Recipe ( 1 portion)
1 small onion sliced
2 small tomatoes
2 pre cooked lamb sausages sliced
1 teaspoon chilli powder or less if you do not like it too hot
4 Rosa Cherry Tomatoes sliced in half
Coriander to garnish
Freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon oil
- Heat oil in a frying pan, added sliced onions and let it brown.To this add the masala and chopped tomato. Allow to cook till soft season with salt.
- Add the sliced sausages to the tomato mix.
- Crack the 2 eggs over the top of the mixture.
- Cover for 3 minutes till a skin forms over the egg yolks.Turn off the heat ,garnished with chopped coriander and the Rosa Tomatoes. Add the freshly ground black pepper and serve immediately.
- Pita Bread
- Added Baked beans as the Tomato mixture base.
- Garnish with thinly sliced peppers
- Any kind of sausage can be used.
In this picture I used Baked Beans and Lamb Sausage. This was so delicious and filling that I actually made it 2 days later again for supper.
Have you eaten this dish or a version of this dish ? Would you made this dish for your family ?
Be Inspired !