I just got back from a quick grocery shop and this was the first time in probably three weeks and trust me it was an experience like no other.And trust me I rushed around the store picked extra things and could not wait to get back home.This whole experience has made me realise that shopping for groceries ,meal planning and having a shopping list are essential during this lockdown period.
Please do not be fooled by the notion that it is just another trip to the store and you will be able to chit chat to people you know.Shopping is now like a strange scene out of a movie where people are standing outside a store,one trolley space between them,most are clad with masks and gloves making them not easy to identify,a security guard spraying your hands and trolley and will let you in soon as a person leaves.This is not the shopping I know and enjoy.It is almost a dash in grab and leave as soon as possible.
Preparing for going out shopping and what to do when you get home while on Lockdown :
1.Write a list,try and visualise the supermarket so you write your list according to layout and ensures you get what you need in the least amount of time.
2.Carry a card to pay ,I found a small purse with a wrist strap to carry only.Do not carry a bag or wallet or take your phone.If you have to leave it in the car.
3.Wear a mask or tie a scarf over your mouth and nose.
4.Tie up your hair ladies !
4.Soon as you get home sanitise hands and shopping bags.I have a spray bottle of diluted Dettol near my doorway.
5.Go and have a bath put the clothes you wore to the shops in the wash.
6.Next use a clean cloth with diluted Dettol water to wipe down all your shopping.Decant items into containers if you can ,remove the outer packaging if you can.
If you want to skip the whole going out the house experience it would be a wise idea to order in your groceries or do a order an collect your shopping list.There are many supermarkets offering this service including Pick n Pay,Woolworths ,Spar and Checkers 60.There other service providers like One Cart,Bottles App ,Netflorist and Planet 54 selling essential items which can be delivered to your home.I am yet to try out any of these services as we have stuff indoors and my brother drops of bits and pieces every so often.
Shopping List :
The following is just a guide to help you make your next shopping trip a bit more easier during this lockdown period.
Fruit & Veg
Always important to buy fresh when it is available.Fruit and Vegetables are great source of vitamins and minerals and can help to boost your immune system.The following are staples and they keep well and most fresh can be frozen as well.
- Potatoes/Sweet Potatoes
- Green unripened bananas
- Tinned Tomatoes
- Tinned Sweetcorn
- Frozen Mix Veg
- Frozen Chips
- Frozen Stir Fry Mix
- Frozen Cauliflower and Broccoli
- Frozen Roast Veg
- Dried Fruits and Nuts
- Fruit Juices
- Salad stuff
- Gem Squash
Milk & Dairy Products :
- Long life milk
- Coffee/Tea Creamer
- Powdered Milk
- Long life Fresh Cream
- Cake Flour
- Self Raising Flour
- Baking Powder
- Cake /Muffin Pre mixes
- Popcorn seeds
- Dried Beans
- Indian Split peas for Dhal
- Lasange Sheets
- Breakfast Cereals
- Instant Mash Potato
- Tinned Tuna
- Tinned Beans
- Soya Mince Dry
- Soya Chunks Dry
- Fish Fingers
- Battered Box Fish
- Mince meat/sausages/burgers/curry pieces
- Chicken pieces/fillets/burgers/nuggets
- Frys have a range of products
- Quorn another vegetarian protein option
- Peanut Butter
Spices and Others :
- Stock cubes
- Sauces – Tomato /Chilli
- Robertson Seasonings
- Lemon Juice
- Curry Powder
- Hot Chocolate
- Coffee Sachets
- Pasta Sauce – Tomato
Bread Products :
All of these can be frozen and take out when needed.
- Tortilla Wraps
- Bread Rolls
- Sliced Bread
- Pita Pockets
- Frozen Pastry
- Pizza Bases
- Taco Shells
- Frozen Naan Bread
- Pita Pockets
Most supermarkets tend to keep a selection of over the counter medication.Get the following :
- Panado or Paracetemol
- Cough Syrup
- Vitamin C Tablets or the Fizzy ones
Other Shopping :
- Detergents to clean the home.
- Washing up liquid
- Washing Powder
- Treats /Biscuits/Chocolate/Chips/Sweets
I find over this time of staying indoors I am experimenting and spending more time in the Kitchen making things I always wanted to but never had the time to.We have stayed indoors for over three weeks now and have settled into a routine including one for meal times and the types of meals we are eating.
Food Tips :
- Green bananas can be boiled and grated and made ito kebabs and frozen.
- Sweet potato washed , cut up,freeze perfect for mash and panfried.
- Fresh tomatoes grated portioned into ice cube trays frozen then turn over into a plastic bag to use when cooking.
- Buy a big block of cheese grate it goes much further and freeze it.
- Leftovers can be frozen.
- Bread can be frozen.
- Bananas getting overipe chop up and put into freezer great for smoothies and banana bread still to try this.
- Make a big bowl of salad add no seasoning or dressings keep in an airtight container and you will have salad at each meal time.
For breakfast I suggest keeping it simple with :
- Hot Drink
We cook one hot meal in the day and keep the leftovers for the next meal or for toasties.We are making a conscious effort to reduce our food wastage,eat more nutritious meals and not eat much junk food.So for some foodie inspiration here are some meals ideas :
LockDown Meal Ideas :
- Roasted Chicken with Coleslaw and Roast potatoes.
- Leftover chicken can be shredded mixed with coleslaw and put into wraps or made into toasted sandwiches.
- Stir Fry Veg with noodles,shredded chicken or tofu can be added here.
- Pasta in a tomato based sauce add some mix veg and make some garlic bread.
- Macaroni and Cheese serve with a salad.
- Cottage Pie with a savoury mince filled topped with mash potatoe and cheese.I often add frozen mix veg to the mince to bulk up the meal and swop the potatoes for sweet potato mash.
- Steamed Gem Squash stuffed with cooked mix veg in a white sauce cheesed and baked.
- Butter Chicken Curry ,leftovers can be tossed into pasta for another meal or made into pies with the pastry.
- Pizzas with the 2 ingredient recipe of yoghurt and flour for the base.
- Burgers and Chips
- Sausage Rolls and Chips
- Lamb Curry/Chicken/Fish
- Samp and Beans curried
- Fish and Chips
- Tuna Pasta
- Spaghetti with mincemeat or meatballs
- Crumbed Chicken pieces with Mash and Gravy
- Wraps filled chicken nuggets,salad mayo
- Chops Chutney
- Quiche with eggs,cheese,spinach
- Quesidillas fill with cheese,sweetcorn and onion toast in the frying pan.
- Toasted Sandwiches
- Veg Stew
- Creamy Potato Bake
- Egg Fried Rice with leftover rice,eggs,and frozen mix veg.
- Butternut Soup
- Chicken Tikka with salad and use the 2 ingredient pizza base to make Naan.
- Chickpea Curry
- Mince Kebabs in a curry or grilled and put into pita bread.
- Thai Green Chicken Curry
- Chicken or Lamb Curry cooked in yoghurt.
- Breakfast for dinner sausages,eggs and baked beans
- Egg Chutney or Shakshuka
- Pies and a salad
- Bunny Chows with a bean/lamb/chicken curry
- A pilchards curry using tinned fish,boiled eggs and potato.
- Dhal Gosht
- Savoury pancakes
- Aubergine Baked and layered in a tomato sauce ,cheesed and baked.
- Tuna Fish Cakes
- Enchiladas use Tortilla wraps fill them with your choice of veg/beans/meat roll up put into a casserole,pour pasta sauce over cheese it and bake.
- Heat up tacos fill up with meat sauce serve with salsa and avocados
- Calzone – Closed pizzas
- Mexican Chilli- spiced mince and kidney beans served with rice or over jacket potatoes,leftovers can be used as pizza topping in your egg fried rice or wraps.
These are just some meal ideas to help you plan meals for your family during LockDown.I am a huge fan of using leftovers to create new dishes.
- Plan your menu in advance.
- Get the family to help in preparing the meal.
- Grate carrots into onions when frying them makes a good base for any dish and adds more nutrients to meals.
- All these dishes can be made into veg options and meats swapped.
- Curries are a good way of protein with veg like cabbage,green beans ,cauliflower.
- Add garlic to whatever you cook.
- Add a 1/2 teaspoon of Tumeric to rice when cooking it.
- Get creative in the kitchen and have fun.
- Look into your cupboards to see what you have in terms of spices and tinned goods.
I hope this blog post helps you plan your shopping and inspires your lockdown meals you cook for your family.Do let me know if you need me to share recipes and what have you made from my list.
Be safe,stay indoors and wash your hands!
Be Inspired !