As a child I
hated ok I disliked eating Olives and my Mum loved eating them so they would always be in our fridge. But as I have gotten older and my palate has become more mature I have fallen in love with eating these once hated delights and now at Food shows I can be found tasting and buying all sorts of Olives.
8 Reasons why you should eat Olives :
- Olives have an anti – inflammatory properties.
- The antioxidants nutrients in Olives inhibit the oxidation of cholesterol and therefore helps in preventing Heart Disease.
- They also boast Vitamin A which is essential for healthy eyes. Thus improving night vision.
- Healthy fat is contained in Olives ( monounsaturated kind) , which has been proven to increase the good cholesterol.
- Eating 10 Olives before a meal will reduce your appetite by 22%.
- They are a great source of essential vitamins, minerals and amino acids which are much needed by our bodies.
- One of these vitamins is Vitamin E which protects the skin from ultraviolet radiation and therefore guards against skin cancer and aging.
- One cup of Olives contains 17% of the daily allowance of fibre which encourages a healthy digestive tract.
I never knew that Olives had so many health benefits !
Buffet Olives is the largest table olive producer in South Africa and is situated in the Western Cape. The brand has been in business for 48 years so YES these guys know their stuff. The farm has 43000 olive trees which range in age from 1 to 60 years old. The olives are handpicked by local workers before been transported to the Buffet Olives facility for the curing process to begin.
Olive Facts :
1.Black Olives are left to mature for nine months while the green olives are matured for a period of 12 months.
2. Each type of Olive and it’s curing process results in a unique flavour and texture.
3.Table Olives range from green to black , small and hard to large and fleshy.
Buffet Olives have 4 different cultivars that grow on their farm :
- Mission Olives is the most popular cultivar grown in South Africa. These olives can be used for oil or table use.This cultivar is most suited for black table olives and originates from California.
- Manzanilla is the most popular international table olive cultivar.
- Kalamata is the second most important olive variety in Greece.
- Barouni is of North African origin and is marketed as ” Queen ” olives in South Africa.
Uses of Olives :
- Pizza topping
- In a Martini
How do you use Olives ? Check out this delicious and simple recipe :
Greek Vegetable Stew
1 red onion
3 small coloured peppers, sliced
3 stalks celery , sliced
3 cloves garlic , sliced
a small handful of Oregano
pinch of Cinnamon
1/2 cup (125ml) white wine
1 can (400g) chickpeas , drained
1 can (400g) Cannellini beans , drained
1 can (400g) Kidney beans , drained
1 large can (800g) chopped tomatoes
1 sachet (200g) Buffet pitted calamata olives sliced
For serving :
1/2 (125ml ) Greek Yoghurt
- Saute onion, garlic and celery until fragrant. Add pepper and fry for a few minutes.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and simmer until the liquid has reduced and sauce has thickened.
- Add Buffet Olives ( reserve some for serving) and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Serve stew topped with yoghurt , chopped dill and olives.
The range has rather a large variety in store that includes :
- Buffet Pitted Calamata Olives.
- Buffet Black Olives.
- Buffet Calamata style Olives.
- Buffet Anchovy Stuffed Olives.
- Buffet Lemon stuffed Olives.
- Buffet Garlic stuffed Olives.
- Buffet Green Olives.
- Buffet Queen Olives.
- Buffet Green pitted Olives.
- Buffet Pimento stuffed Olives.
In the spirit of festive giving , I have a hamper to giveaway to one of my readers. The hamper is worth R500.
How to win ?
- Share this blog post and tell me where you have shared it in the comment section. Also tell me which is your favourite in the range?
- You can enter this giveaway on my Facebook page as well www.facebook.com/spicegoddessblog
- There is only 1 hamper to giveaway.
- 1 entry per person so please do not spam me you will not be entered.
- The choice of winner is final.
- Giveaway starts today and ends on the 5th December 2016.
Good Luck !
Be Inspired !
ps. This is a sponsored post. The images and recipe have been supplied.