Escape down to the South Coast
Travelling locally is one of the things in 2016, I did a lot more. So when it came to planning our annual Christmas Outing with the Girls it was no surprise the task was left to me. I started researching the South Coast of Durban , as there were a few places I personally wanted to visit.
Like any road trip planning is essential Girls on a Road Trip read here more on what you need to do in preparation. The most important thing when going on a road trip is to LEAVE EARLY !
The South Coast of KwaZulu Natal is a very popular holiday destination for local tourists. With 200km of coastline it is no wonder that this coast is so busy every summer. But there is so much more to see and do than just visit the beach.
South Coast Facts :
- Home to 6 Blue Flag beaches – A Blue Flag is an international award given to beaches , boats and marinas that meet excellence in the areas of safety , amenities , cleanliness and environmental standards.
- Also known as the Golf Coast with nine golf courses.
- Shark Cage Diving is a popular activity down the coast.
- The Sardine Run every June / July brings a festive atmosphere to the coast. “The Greatest Shoal on Earth” is where thousands of dolphins, sharks , fur seals and game fish can be seen herding and feeding from a million strong sardine shoal.
- World Class dive sites for scuba enthusiasts can be found here at Aliwal Shoal and Protea Banks.
The South Coast includes the following areas :
Harding, Hibberdene, Margate, Ramsgate, Shelly Beach , Uvongo , St. Michaels , Port Edward , South Broom, Port Shepstone , Scottburgh , Pennington, Umzinto, Bazley , Park Rynie, Kelso , Ifafa and Umkomaas.
We had a rough idea of what we wanted to do/see/eat on our trip.
- Breakfast in Scottburgh , we used Zomato and EatOut to give us some ideas.
- Waffle House – this was something we have been wanting to do forever.
- Beaver Creek Coffee Plantation – the last time we headed down the coast we passed it and made a note to come back.
Pretty much our plan was flexible and we just wanted to drive and enjoy the coast and literally see where the road would take us. Lush green vegetation covered either side of the road with the occasional villages in between. The locals can be found on the side of the road selling fresh produce.
Waffle House was amazing and it landed a spot here on The Best Places To Eat At This Summer in Durban . Be prepared to wait for a table as it is rather busy , there is a curio store selling local made products for you to browse while you wait.
Tummys full we decided to see where to head to next and instantly we all agreed on Beaver Creek Coffee Estate. Not knowing exactly how much further it was we asked one of the managers. This was the best thing we could have done asking a local. He guided us with simple directions ,gave us some guidebooks on the area and even suggested we stop off at Mac Banana.
And so we headed off on our Coffee adventure with a very green and Instagram worthy drive to the estate. The beautiful aromas of the different blends wafted through the shop. We opted for a coffee tasting where for R20 per person (Roughly £1) we were able to try out 5 different types of coffees unlimited as well as 2 different coffe liqueurs.My favourite was the Transkei Gold.We had missed the daily tour but after our day of adventuring the coffee shop was perfect.
The last stop for the day was Mac Banana and we were rather sad that we had only 45 minutes there as the were closing. Mac Banana is can almost be called an Entertainment world. With shops selling sweets and candy from around the world ,to a butterfly dome , a miniature golf course , an animal farm and Quad Biking there is something for everyone here at Mac Banana. We had a quick look around bought some delicious biltong and headed to the car as we made our way home to Durban.
Our day down the South Coast was filled with so much and yet there was still so much we had not done or seen. The girls all decided on our way home that the best way to Explore the South Coast would be by staying the weekend.
For extra travel inspiration and where to stay, remember to check AccommoDirect for accommodation in Durban.
Have you ever gone on Road Trip and wished you had stayed a night ?
Be Inspired !
Ps…. This is a sponsored post however the Road Trip is my own.