About 6 years ago during my adventures in London, I came across a book that I fell in love with, cried and could relate on so many levels. During my move I misplaced the book and then 6 months ago I remembered and had to place a special order for my book which has a rather odd title – For Matrimonial Purposes by Kavita Daswani.
The book is set in two totally different continents in two bustling cities, Bombay and New York. “Anju” is the damsel who we come to love and share her journey as her family in India try to find her a suitable boy to marry. Anju lives in New York. A modern Indian girl who loves drinking cocktails and fashion, but every time she returns home to visit her family she is put through this whole process of meeting suitors. I identify with Anju and often find myself laughing out aloud when I am reading this book.
This book is a must read its light , funny , sad and let’s us each walk away with a glimmer of hope. The following are some of my favourite lines in the book :
- “why aren’t you married yet?”.
- “he looks like he should be on some America’s Most Wanted List”.
- “in your baby pink sari ,you look like a marshmallow .All soft and sweet and fluffy and nothing inside but air.That’s what he wants.
- “I don’t want you to be happy .I want you to be married.”.
- “Beti,the boy destined for you is already born.He is somewhere in the world.We just have to find him.”.
- “First get married ,then do what you want.”.
- “he was just like every other guy I’d known- scared and closeminded.”.
- “I’ve met your soulmate, I’ve met the man you are going to marry.”.
- “we need to be two independent people in this.That’s the only way we can see if its going to work.”.
- “Rohan led me around the nuptial fire and I followed , our karmas cleansed by its warmth, our lives starting anew”.