When one thinks of Coconut Water instantly images of tropical islands with swayìng Palm Trees come to mind. Coconut and Coconut Water are a common feature in an Indian home and are often used in rituals.
As a child recall fighting with my brother after a prayer to get a sip of this delicious nectar. Then I forgot about Coconut Water until I went to Mauritius last year and loved this refreshing drink. This year in Kerala my love for Coconut Water was reborn and I drank it on a daily basis which was a perfect thirst quencher for the heat.
On returning home, I craved a lot of the delicious food and drink from Kerala and top of the list was coconut water. Now in South Africa we get the older coconut which has a dried brown husk to it or the other option is bottled Coconut Water.
Reasons why you should drink Coconut Water :
- It is low in calories and yes most of us do still check the labels.
- Rehydrates the body perfect for places with very hot weather.
- It is packed with Antioxidants.
- Lowers Blood Pressure.
- Promotes weight loss.
- Regulates Blood Sugar levels.
- Slows down aging and this makes sense because several skin care products are made from Coconut Water.
- A cleansing and detox agent.
- Reduces cellulite.
- Facilitates digestion and reduces acid reflux.
So many beneficial properties and some I had never heard off and off I went to check out what was available in the shops. There are a few brands on the market and some even have different flavours of coconut water. Then the Universe gave me a dozen litres of H2coco water and a Nutriblast which I won in a giveaway. I was over the moon with both prizes and knew I would be busy making smoothies and juicing it up on a regular basis.
Facts on H2coco :
– The brand was created in Australia and has only recently been brought to South Africa.
– Their coconuts are sourced from the Philippines and Thailand.
– They use Tatra Pak as it best preserves the integrity of the coconut water by eliminating oxidisation.
– H2coco pure is 100% pure coconut water with no added sugar, additives, or preservatives. It is fat-free and gluten-free and contains potassium and electrolytes.
– H2coco Pomegranate and Acai, and H2coco Pineapple are flavoured with real fruit puree.
– CocoEspresso is a pure coconut water with a shot of espresso and is dairy-free, gluten-free.Perfect Java fix!
The prices range slightly at different stores. The 330ml boxes are around R24 and the 1l boxes are between R56 and R60. You can find them at Clicks, Kauai and Dis-Chem, as well as other select stores. The four flavours are H2coco Pure, H2coco Pineapple, H2coco Pomegranate and Acai, and CocoEspresso.
I prefer using the Pure flavour in my smoothies and juices so that it means neutral in flavour. Coconut Water can also be used in making cocktails.
Have you drank/cooked/eaten coconut ? Would love to hear your thoughts.
Be Inspired !