Valentine’s Day is fast approaching and coming up with an exciting and unique idea can be daunting for couples.
I personally am not a fan of this day but the romantic on me secretly loves this day.My idea of romance has evolved over the years much like everything else in my life.I find myself been drawn to experiences rather than things.So when these ideas for Valentine’s Day in KZN popped into my inbox ,I was super impressed.
When most people think Romance instantly they think Paris or Venice as the most romantic places in the world,but right here in KZN we have some remarkablely romantic spots.We even have Gondolas in Durban near Ushaka Marine World.Zulumoon Gondalas has packages to suit all budgets to create the perfect romantic experience for your loved one.I have been on a Gondala in Venice and trust me it is overated and over priced.A day roadtrip down the coast is a great idea and allows you to spend quality time with your partner and actually talk ,create memories ,recount memories without then noise of the outside world.
Durban has an amazing variety of eateries to suit all budgets and tastes.During Valentine’s Day many have specials for both lunch and dinner.The Entertainer App is also a great app to get discounted deals not only on meals but experiences and activities.
Check out these ideas to inspire you to create a magical Valentine’s Day for your loved one :
EXPLORE THE MIDLANDS MEANDER
The Midlands Meander is without doubt the “Romeo & Juliet Route” of KZN, with an English countryside feel about it. For lovestruck couples, the route is packed with diverse dining options, offering everything from laid-back farm-style cuisine to fine dining in stunning, scenic locations. There is a wide selection of accommodation suited to couples, including Copperleigh Trout Cottages, Kerriston Country House, Tanglewood Country Hotel, Bosch Hoek Lodge, Fordoun Hotel and Spa, and Hartford House.Brahman Hills is one of my personal favourites for a romantic break. There is also a variety of places to visit and see including Karkloof Falls, Beacon Hill, and a selection of nature reserves. You can also visit different studios or workshops of great craftspeople where you can purchase sentimental trinkets for the love of your life.
THE NELSON MANDELA CAPTURE SITE, HOWICK
We have all been impacted by Tata Madiba. This to-do is surrounded by gorgeous scenery and has a sense of legacy about it. It also has a very significant sculpture made up of 50 steel columns between 6 and 9.5 metres high and forms an image of Nelson Mandela from a certain vantage point. Profess your love before a figure of the man who helped ferment the groundswell of resistance, solidarity and uprising, bringing about political change and democracy.
LAKE ST LUCIA
Intimate dinners, candles and petal strewn baths in the bush – these KwaZulu-Natal lodges know just what to do when it comes to making your romantic getaway dreams for Valentine’s Day come true. There are many hideaway retreats on the Elephant Coast. These KwaZulu-Natal lodges provide a romantic retreat combined with a range of features, facilities and activities.
- Amakhosi Safari Lodge offers the Umntwana Honeymoon Suite. Retreat to this royal dwelling in the bush which has a lovely deck, private bubble pool and hammock overlooking the river. The suite is spacious with a lounge, romantic four-poster bed and an en-suite bathroom for 2.
- Emdoneni Lodge offers Windfall Cottage which is a secluded hideaway amongst a stand of Marula trees. Enjoy the outdoor shower for romantic moments under the stars and your private garden where impala and zebra graze in the tranquil surroundings.
- Makakatana Bay Lodge is the perfect getaway at the edge of Lake St Lucia in the iSimangaliso Wetland Park. Stylish, romantic and personalised describe the Makakatana experience. The Honeymoon Suite offers stunning views over the wetlands from a very private setting.
- Thanda Private Game Reserve combines wildlife, luxury and of course romance in a great setting. The Honeymoon Tent is quite frankly, to die for! This sumptuous and elegant suite features a big oval bath for 2 and a Jacuzzi on the deck which overlooks the beautiful reserve.
- White Elephant Lodge offers an “Out of Africa” experience in a delightful Honeymoon Chalet at the Bush Camp. Enjoy old world romance with a modern twist. A special feature is the private Victorian bath in a secluded bush setting with plenty of hot water on tap for lengthy soaks, day or night!
Lake St Lucia is one of the 10 jewels of the iSimangaliso Wetland Park and UNESCO World Heritage Site. It is also Africa’s largest estuarine system and home to over 800 happy hippos, 1 200 crocodiles, pelicans, and flamingos. Activities include boat cruises, scuba diving and nature trails.
GIANT’S CASTLE GAME RESERVE, DRAKENSBERG:
If you want to enjoy blissful peace and quiet with your partner, you can go for a game drive, go fishing or go on a self-guided walk, and spend some much-needed time in nature. For a small fee, you can also visit one of the biggest and best sandstone caves in southern Africa that contains San rock art. Good for day visitors or sleepovers.And not forgetting hot air ballooning.
DURBAN’s BEACHFRONT PROMENADE
Stroll down the beach with your beloved, following the eight-km self-guided path. There are plenty of shops, restaurants and bars along the way to explore.
MOSES MABHIDA STADIUM – THE BIG SWING
If you and your partner are feeling brave and are looking for an experience of a lifetime to remember Valentine’s Day 2020 by, this is just the thing for you. ‘The Big rush, big swing’ allows you to jump over the world cup football pitch, 106 meters above the ground, and swing out at 120 kph, in a massive 220-meter arc.
CHILL AT SHONGWENI DAM
Shongweni Dam and game reserve is the perfect spot for couples to relax and enjoy spectacular natural surroundings. You can take your own picnic, and sit and while away the time or go for a scenic walk. If you want to be a bit more active than that, there are game drives, rock climbing, abseiling, mountain bike rides or guided canoe journeys.
What better way to enjoy Valentine’s Day than to paddle tranquilly up the dam, while watching for all sorts of wildlife and birds? Or better yet enjoy a romantic helicopter ride.
While loved ones are special all-year round, and deserve flowers and chocolates regularly, Valentine’s Day is the time to pull out all the stops and do something different. For more information on Valentine’s Day ideas, visit: http://www.zulu.org.za/dokzn/experiences/do-kzn-romance
I hope this has inspired you to think outside the box and create a romantic Valentine’s Day for your loved in Kwa Zulu Natal.
Be Inspired !